Early morning departures, a stellar playlist, thermos of coffee and breakfast to go. This is the life. Morning adventures have always been my favorite, getting a head start on the day voyage, having the open road to only yourself, and maybe a carefully picked travel companion or two.
Escaping your world of cityscapes, to do’s and hustle mentality you find yourself in an old familiar place, whether or not you’ve visited before. As John Muir says,
Going to the woods is going home; for I suppose we came from the woods originally.
Surrounded by wilderness, on either side of the shaded highway, enclosed by a comforting landscape of tall pines is where I feel most at home, often escaping to these destinations to reground, regroup, or reconnect. It’s after you’ve soaked in that fresh mountain air or cool ocean breeze that you feel yourself again – not your day to day average self, but your true essence.
Beet “Lox” Bagels & Cashew Cream Cheese
- One red beet
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked for 2+ hours.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Spelt bagels, toasted.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the stem of your beet, and it’s tail. Lay out a square of tinfoil, place your sprigs of rosemary down, and place your beet on top. Wrap up the tinfoil carefully, making sure not to puncture the tinfoil. Bake for 1hour in your 400 degrees F oven. Remove and allow to cool in the tinfoil, allowing the beet to absorb more smoky rosemary flavor.
- In your high-speed blender, add in your cashews, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water. Blend low, allowing the cream to slowly smoothen out, raising the speed a little more if you can. You may need to turn your machine off and scrape down the sides occasionally. Store your cream cheese in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to one week.
- Once you’ve made your cream cheese, and your beet has cooled, remove beet from tinfoil and compost your rosemary. The skin on the beet should slide right off, or if not, you may need to remove it with a knife. CAUTION: MESSY! Take your skinned beet, and with a sharp knife or mandolin, shave off thin slices.
- To construct, spread your toasted bagel with cashew cream cheese, add smoky rosemary beet slices, and top with a sprinkle of capers. Enjoy right away!